Search This Blog

All photographs on this blog are taken by J. E. Stephens (author) unless stated otherwise.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Web 2.0

You know, I didn't really notice when Web 1.0 switched to Web 2.0 - I do remember when the internet was simply a research tool at school, but I think I've grown up as Web 2.0 has grown up, so it seems such a natural thing. I think social networking sights can be a great way to keep in touch, discover new ideas, make yourself known and so on, but I can't help but be slightly wary about what I put on the web. I think I've become too trusting, and one day perhaps it will bight back! I hope not - perhaps I'm just a bit old-fashioned for a girl in her twenties! I do plant herbs and bake cakes after all!

7 comments:

  1. Are those cakes for our lecture tomorrow? I would like the one in the front row with the heart.
    I'm interested on what you have posted on the web that might bite back - I'm away to search your name on google!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd be proud of me - I made a cake on Saturday. I say 'made' because it was a non-bake cheesecake. Very nice too, if I say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry everyone, those cakes have already been eaten! :-) Next time I'll bring some to class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess the difference with web 1.0 was that people would have just seen your cakes and silently wished for them ... but web 2.0 feedback lets you KNOW that everyone wants one!

    Seriously, though, it's not surprising that you didn't notice the shift from web 1.0 to web 2.0 - it was fairly gradual at the start, and web 1.0 still exists as the base layer of the web.

    As for putting info online - the rule of thumb is to remember that these are public conversations (of the kind you'd have in a classroom, say, or a hallway with lots of people around) as opposed to private conversations (that you might have with just one or two friends). If you keep the tone and content similar to that of most everyday public conversations, you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - Alternatively, if you are sharing more personal information on social networking pages, check your privacy settings to make sure they're what you think they are! The default settings are not always what users expect ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The public/private conversation analogy is a good one, except the difference with these public conversations is that they can be read over and over again! But yes, it's a good idea to treat the blog conversation as though you would in a corridor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. True - persistence and spreadability are features of online conversations that don't apply to offline ones. That probably necessitates taking a bit more care since digital memory, unlike human memory, doesn't fade over time. However, as long as you stick to the corridor conversation idea, you should be fine!

    ReplyDelete